What Colors Make a Room Look Bigger?
In general, light colors make a room look bigger. Light-colored walls and ceilings reflect light, which makes a room seem open and airy, while dark colors absorb light and make a room look smaller.
Cool colors like white, off-white, light gray, light green and light blue are good soft tones to make a room look brighter and more inviting. Another trick is to paint your moldings a lighter color than your walls. This creates the optical illusion of making your walls seem like they’re farther back than they actually are, creating a feeling of more space. Likewise, an all-white room blurs the boundaries between the walls and ceiling, making the ceiling seem higher.
Other Ways to Make a Room Look Bigger
In addition to choosing the right colors, there are other tricks you can use to make rooms look more spacious, such as:
- Using smaller, lighter furniture. To create a sense of space, always choose furniture that can be situated away from the walls. Avoid heavy-looking furniture and opt for sleek profiles.
- Using low-profile furniture. Furniture that’s “short” and closer to the floor will create a sense of openness in the room.
- Using leggy furniture. Select chairs, tables, and couches with visible legs that allow light and air to flow through.
- Using mirrors. They reflect light and also reflect a view of the room, creating an optical illusion of extra space.
- Avoiding drapes. Or, if you do have drapes, keep them open to visually extend the room to the outdoors.
- Avoiding rugs. They break up a room and make it appear smaller.
- Creating pathways. Group your furniture on one side of the room so that there’s a large pathway to pass through without restrictions.
Home Remodeling Ideas to Increase Space
Frey Construction has a team of experts ready to help you remodel your Spring Green, WI, home so that it’s more spacious and functional. Contact us today to learn more.