AESTHETIC HAIL DAMAGE
Aesthetic hail damage is the most common type of damage caused by hail. This occurs when hailstones hit your roof and the protective granular surface of the shingle loosens and falls off. With the granules removed, the shingle loses some of its protection, decreasing the lifespan of the roof and making it more vulnerable to additional damage.
Aesthetic hail damage does not mean that the roof shingles need to be replaced immediately. The decrease in the shingle life expectancy varies depending on the amount of damage, the age of the shingles and a few other factors. Talk to your contractor about the time frame in which your roof should be replaced.
IMPORTANT to remember, there is a deadline for insurance company claims – check with your insurance company on this timeframe.
FUNCTIONAL HAIL DAMAGE
Functional damage is occurs when there is enough damage done to the shingles to either cause leaks or significantly reduces the life of the shingle. This type of damage is recognized by major granule loss (easily visible from the ground, areas of asphalt becoming exposed) or shingle fracture/penetration which can be seen by fractures through the back of the shingle.
There are many factors which affect the ability of the roof to withstand hail impact:
– Size and density of the hail stones – Large heavy stones will cause more severe damage.
– Age of the shingles – Newer shingles are more resistant than older shingles, as the asphalt is less brittle and better able to absorb the impact energy.
– Angle of the hail impact – Hail which strikes the roof at a 90° angle is more likely to cause shingle fractures, while hail that strikes the roof at less of an angle is more likely to result in spots of granule loss.
– Temperature- Colder temperature will be more likely to cause fractures as the asphalt will be more brittle than in warmer weather.
– Roof deck conditions – Solid roof decks offer better support to the shingle surface in resisting hail damage. Shingles on rotted or weak decking can be more easily fractured.
Frey Construction is your local hail assesment experts. With 15 years of service to the Madison area and surrounding communities, we have experienced crew members that know what damage to look for and experience negotiating with your insurance company.
CALL NOW FOR YOUR FREE HAIL INSPECTION (608) 643.7914